Seitan is a vegetarian meat substitute that is made of the protein found in wheat-gluten. This is the same protein that gives breads their elasticity and chew. Making seitan at home is easy and only requires a few ingredients. Their meaty texture is a great transitional food for new vegetarians craving meat.
- one 10 ounce box of Vital Wheat Gluten (approx. 2.5 cups)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons fine sea salt or to taste
- Bring a pot of water or low-sodium stock to a light boil.
- Meanwhile slowly add enough warm water to gluten until soft dough forms. Knead lightly. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Cut into desired shapes (remembering seitan swells up about 50% of its size when cooking). Put in water or stock, bring back to a boil, and then cook on low for an hour. Use as you would meat in recipes. Enjoy!