Spices can be add a whole new dimension of flavor and complexity to a dish if used properly. Here are 5 essential tips for making the most of your spices:
- Buy most of your spices whole. Not only do they keep longer, but their flavor is more potent when freshly ground.
- The few spices that actually are mostly available in their powdered form-such as paprika and turmeric-should be kept no longer than 6 months in your spice cabinet.
- Store spices in a dark, cool, and dry place.
- Many spices (with the exception of some such as black peppercorns or cinnamon) are unpalatable in their raw state so either dry roast or lightly fry them for dish preparations.
- Spices can burn easily and leave off flavors so keep an eye on them when adding to dry preparations (for example, when frying with other aromatics in oil.)
Keep these in mind and you’ll be on your way to creating more satisfying dishes that will help you EatFree!