Nowadays there are many brands that manufacture vegetarian bacon substitutes that are made with tempeh (fermented soybean) that mimic the flavor of real bacon quite nicely. Make sure to purchase one that uses natural sweeteners and has a maple smoke flavor. These will go best in this sandwich, which a riff on the classic BLT but without the pork bacon! This recipe makes two sandwiches.
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of canola oil
- 8 slices of tempeh bacon
- 4 slices of sprouted grain bread, toasted
- 3 tablespoons of light mayo
- 4 slices of plum tomato
- 2 handfuls of romaine lettuce
- Roast garlic in 350 degree Fahrenheit oven with one teaspoon of oil until completely soft. Set aside.
- Cook bacon according to manufacturer’s directions until crisp.
- Pulse together roasted garlic and mayo. Spread about 2 tablespoons on each side of bread. Layer tomatoes, lettuce, and bacon. Cut in half and enjoy!