This recipe is a variation of the Latin American dish, sorrullos, which are cornmeal fingers. The ingredients are essentially the same, except here I’ve shaped them into balls rather then fingers. If you are feeling daring, you can also add a thin sliver of jalapeno, raw or roasted, along with the cheese to add some bite.
- 2 cups stone-ground cornmeal
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons raw turbinado sugar
- 1/2 pound mozzarella, cut into 8 rectangles and frozen
- oil for deep frying
- Combine cornmeal, cornstarch, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and raw sugar. Add enough warm water to a form a dough. Press dough around rectangular pieces of mozzarella. Make sure to seal all edges. Repeat for remaining mozzarella pieces. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat oil to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Fry cornmeal balls until light golden- a few minutes. Drain and enjoy with mayo-ketchup!