Salads don’t have to be boring and bland-in fact, by using some varied textures and exotic flavors, a warm salad may just become your favorite lunch or dinner side dish! This particular salad makes use of Southeast Asian flavors-mint, cilantro, fried onions, peanuts, and spicy pickled vegetables all on a bed of hearty real whole grain.
- 2 cups whole spelt grain, rinsed
- 1/2 cup mint, chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 cups fried crispy onions
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup pickled vegetables, diced
- 1/2 cup unsalted roasted peanuts
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add spelt and simmer for about 45 to 50 minutes or until cooked. Drain.
- Stir in mint, cilantro, onions, salt, and pepper into warm spelt. Top with pickled vegetables and peanuts before serving. Enjoy!