The flax seeds and sesame add a nice flavor and nutrition to this bread-feel free to shape in any way you’d like (loaf, baguette, roll, etc.). All else will remain the same except for the cooking time. In addition, the rapid rise yeast substantially reduces proofing time without compromising the flavor and texture of the bread much.
- 4 cups 100% whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tablespoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 1/4 cup white sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon rapid rise yeast
- 1 and 2/3 cups warm water (approx.)
- 1/4 cup honey or agave
- 1/4 cup non-hydrogenated all vegetable shortening
- Combine all dry ingredients thoroughly-flour, salt, seeds, and yeast. Dissolve honey and shortening into warm water (no hotter than 100 degrees Fahrenheit.)
- Add dough hook attachment to stand mixer. Turn on to lowest setting. Slowly add in water mixture into bowl. Knead for several minutes or until dough starts to become supple and pulls away from edge of bowl (add more or less water as needed). Dough should be smooth and only slightly sticky.
- Place dough in warm place to rise for an hour.
- After first rise, shape dough into desired shapes. Let rise for another hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake for about 15 minutes (this time is for a mini-baguette size). Let cool and enjoy!