Pestos can be made of virtually any vegetable or herb. Here I use spinach and sun-dried tomatoes as the dominant flavor base with hints of garlic and chili. You can also substitute a 100% whole grain spelt pasta here, for example, if you are gluten-free.
- 20 ounce pack of fresh spinach, washed
- 3 ounce bag of sun-dried tomato halves (about 40 pieces)
- 12 ounces 100% whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add spinach and sun-dried tomatoes-cook for 3-4 minutes or until spinach is just wilted. Add pasta to same water and cook according to package directions.
- Pulse together spinach, garlic, red pepper, salt, pepper, olive oil, pine nuts and parmesan until pesto consistency is achieved .
- Toss in the warm pasta with the spinach pesto and enjoy!