Posted by: EatFree
Fennel bulbs have a very pleasant yet delicate anise-like flavor. I’ve bumped up the anise flavor of the fennel bulb with some actual fennel seeds. The cumin adds a nice smokiness to the dish while the cherries add a much needed bright note. Save the fennel fronds for later—they can be used in vegetable stocks or even in a pesto.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 fennel bulbs (about 1.5 lbs), thinly julienned
- Salt to taste
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon raw demerara sugar
- ¼ cup dried cherries
- Heat oil. Add seeds. Let pop for 10 seconds (use splatter screen or lid as necessary). Stir in sliced fennel (along with some sea salt) carefully and sauté over medium heat until lightly caramelized and wilted. Add cayenne pepper and raw sugar midway through caramelization. Stir for a few more minutes.
- Add about ½ cup water and cherries. Simmer for 5 minutes covered until completely wilted. Serve as a side dish with rice, green salad, or roti (whole wheat flat bread). Enjoy!