This cold sweet potato salad features Mexican spices-oregano, chipotle, and cumin with a based of sofrito-onions, bell pepper, and garlic. The intensely flavored base takes out the need for using regular mayonaisse, so low-fat mayo works just fine here.
- 2 lbs sweet potato (about 3 regular sized ones), cut into half inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chipotle in adobo, pureed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 2 green peppers, diced
- one 15 ounce can of corn
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 cup light mayo
- 2/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Toss sweet potatoes with 1 tablespoon of the oil and some salt. Roast in oven for 25-30 minutes or until almost tender.
- In the meantime, whisk in chipotle, cumin, and oregano into remaining oil along with some salt and pepper. Pour this over peppers, onions, and corn and combine. Set aside.
- Whisk together rest of ingredients into mayo and set aside.
- Once sweet potatoes are almost tender, pour over corn, pepper, and onion mixture over them. Roast in oven for another 10-12 minutes or until vegetables are lightly browned.
- Toss vegetables immediately with mayo mixture. Enjoy!