This recipe for chewy brown rice bars replaces the white rice cereal with whole grain crispy brown rice cereal, white sugar with agave, and gelatin with agar agar powder. The chocolate amped up with espresso offers a nice mocha flavor. Increase the amount of brown rice cereal and you have a crispy brown rice treat!
- 1 cup light agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons agar agar powder
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted organic butter
- 6 cups whole grain crispy brown rice cereal
- 1/2 cup naturally sweetened chocolate chips, divided
- Combine agave with half cup of water. Bring to 235 degrees on a candy thermometer, whisking occasionally.
- Meanwhile dissolve agar agar in 1/2 cup cold water and espresso powder in 3 tablespoons boiling water. Set both aside.
- When agave reaches temperature, whisk in salt, butter, agar agar mixture, and espresso. Cook on low for 3 minutes, whisking frequently. Add in 1/4 of the chocolate and cook on low for another 2 minutes. Pour mixture onto brown rice cereal and combine until well-coated.
- Pour onto sprayed meatloaf pan and press down. Top with rest of chocolate chips, pressing down gently. Let cool, cut into squares, and enjoy! (Refrigerate if you are in a rush for faster setting.)