This warm spinach salad has all the four major flavors-spicy, sweet, tart, and salty. The warm apple mixture is poured over the fresh baby spinach leaves, making them wilt just the right amount. If you are vegan, simply replace the butter with canola oil and if you don’t care for soy bacon, substitute with lean organic turkey bacon.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted organic butter
- 1 Granny Smith apple, diced
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons raw muscavado sugar
- Dash of fresh nutmeg
- 9 ounces of fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 12 organic bacon strips, cooked and chopped
- Heat butter. Add apples and salt. Cook on medium low until apples are still firm yet slightly softened. Stir frequently.
- Stir in red pepper flakes, sugar and nutmeg. Stir for 30 seconds or until slightly thickened (add a tablespoon of water if needed). Pour warm mixture over fresh spinach. Top with walnuts, blue cheese, and crisp bacon. Enjoy!