- Canola oil for deep frying plus 2 tablespoons
- 4 unripe plantains with a few black spots (about 2.5 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons (divided) garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup red onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup chipotle in adobo, pureed
- 1.5 pounds 16-20 shrimp, deveined
- 2 teaspoons light muscavado sugar
- lime wedges
- Heat oil to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut plantain into 1 inch sections and fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Add 1 tablespoon garlic, honey,salt, pepper, and 1/3 cup vegetable stock to plantains in a bowl. Mash with fork. Let cool slightly and then mash with hands to form a smooth dough-like consistency. Set aside.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil. Add onion and cook until lightly golden. Add remaining one tablespoon of garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook for 30 seconds on low or until fragrant, stirring constantly. Add chipotle and cook for 30 seconds on low. Add remaining stock, shrimp, and muscavado. Bring to a boil and then let simmer until shrimp is done.
- Press mashed plantains (mofongo) into square or round bowls to shape. Form onto plate and pour over shrimp. Serve with lime wedges. Enjoy!