- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 cup red onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 serrano chili, chopped and de-seeded
- 1 cup raw cashews
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1.5 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ cup urad dal
- ¼ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 2 chile de arbols
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 6 cups calabasa pumpkin, cubed (about 2lbs)
- 1/3 cup cilantro,chopped
- Heat one tablespoon oil. Saute onions until light brown. Add garlic, chili, cashews, salt, and pepper. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in paprika and cumin. Take off heat and set aside to cool.
- Heat last tablespoon of oil. Add dal, fenugreek, mustard seeds and chile de arbol. Stir until dal gets slightly darker and mustard seeds start to crackle.
- Add pumpkin and salt. Saute for 4 to 5 minutes. Add 1 cup of water, bring to a boil, and simmer covered until pumpkin is half done, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile blend cashew mixture to form a paste with half cup of water. Add into pumpkin and cook for 6 additional minutes, stirring occasionally. (Add water if mixture gets too dry.) Stir in cilantro off heat and enjoy with roti or basmati rice!