- 1.5 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 chile de arbol (dried red chili)
- 3/4 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 12 curry leaves
- 2 teaspoons ginger, grated
- 1/2 pound beets, grated
- 1/2 pound carrots, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- salt to taste
- 1/3 cup coconut slices, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 1/4 cup raw unsalted peanuts, ground
- Heat oil. Add cumin, chili, mustard, and curry leaves. Let splutter with lid on. Add ginger. Cook 5 seconds with lid on.
- Take off lid and add beets, carrots, red chili powder, turmeric, and salt. Combine, stir for 1 minute, and then cook on low covered for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add coconut and raisins. Cook covered on low for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add peanuts off heat and enjoy with brown basmati rice!